Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Jus imagine

If this genius had still been alive....!

I think the single most greatest loss for the Kannada industry is this guy....

shankar


Why is he so great ?
Or, rather, why am I such a big fan of him ?

His no nonsense narration and extreme understanding of the old mysore style culture made him script and direct some of the best films in Kannada Industry.And his understanding of the expectations of THEATRE actors in movies was good.

1) Utsav ( I was trememdosuly influenzed by this movie....It is based on Shudraka's Mrichakatika...The best part of Utsav is, the story is based on Merchants , traders and commmon man....unlinke many other dramas written by other Sanskrit writers (like Bhasa or Kalidasa or Baanabhatta) which were usually based on Kings....My unfinished script "The Brahmin" ...it will use the same costumes...based on the same era....Hope it will see the light of the day ;-)...Will keep the readers informed abt it ! )

2) Malgudi Days . This is getting telecasted on a channel called "Pogo".

3) Swamy and his friends
(I was a freaking Swamy , in my school days! )

4) Accident (Really awesome movie)

5) Parameshi Pranaya Prasanga (The name may seem very odd and I dunno what it means. But the characterization is brillaint)

6) Sangliyana 1 & 2 + CBI Shankar (His more "commercial" movies. He just had style and the suave looks and a superb voice.)

7) Ondaanondu Kaaladalli (Again an excellent theme)

8) Nodi Swamy, Naavu Irodu Heege.

9)Auto Raja (For actually identifying & establishing a CULT audience in Kannada movies....viz Auto Drivers!! He also created the concept of "Auto Stands" in key areas of Bangalore)

10) And my favorite "Minchina Ota".....I cant stop raving about this movie...And the prisoners are imprisoned in Belgaum !!! Wow ...Belgaum rocks !! ;-)

Shankar Nag....

YOU RULE

7 comments:

Sridhar Raman said...

As I was going through the list, my first thought was, "Why the heck is Minchina Ota not mentioned!!"...and then I saw. :)

And thanks for reminding me of #8, I cant get the lines "nodi swami (pause) naaviroduheege" out of my head!

sarvagnaani said...

what made you remember him?

>> Wow ...Belgaum rocks !!
:D

Tejaswi said...

Belgaum prisons rock more!

sudeep said...

chillI :-
Even I loved the movie "Nodi..."!!

Sarvagnaani:-
Just a photo on yet another auto :-))

Tejaswi :-

No more Belgaum prisons man...hehehe...
Some other Prison please! (or rather some other PALACE!!!)

karthik c said...

yeah its amazing the kinda impact one guy n one movie can have.... its been decades since hes gone and i can still see him on half the autos in bangalore

this dude rules !

laksnj said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
laksnj said...

A dialogue I heard from Autoraja today,shankarnag replies to the actress when she pleads for his love this way "Guddadalli iro devru janaranna preethisolla"
Felt it was very profound!