Thursday, December 15, 2005

PT masters

As I play Lynnrd Skynnrd, I came to know that they named their group after their PT master, Leonard Skinner.

School days are unique, because we enjoyed small bursts of freedom, amidst the tightening noose.
The PE periods or the P.T. periods were unique. Our school PE periods were of two types :-

a) Games :- Where we would dutifully divide into "Boys" and "Girls". Boys used to play cricket , volleyball (in high school). Girls used to play with rubber rings.The PT master would catch a puff of smoke in the nearest ubiquitous pettige angadi if the PE period was a games period.

b)Drills :- Base drummer hits the big fat drum.PT master whistles One-two-three-four.
"Sudeep stretch your hands fully" whack comes the stick.Usually whacks from PT sirs were on the knuckles. It used to pain like hell.

c)Marchpast periods :- The whistle , the scorching sun , the marchpast and the salute to the chief guest.And make a straight line with a one-and-a half-arm-distance.
eyes right! check 1 - 2 - 3 -4 .......left right left

The PE masters were sometimes the only adult men in my school (apart from the security guard).There were fun, when we came to high school. I remember my earliest PT master was a big hit with the girls , who became a police constable. The second PT master was a flutist. He had scolded me when I had laughed during the national anthem, as a buffalo passed in front of me, I could not control laughter! The third PT master was a notorious fellow. He promised the whole school hockey sticks and left the school after collecting the money....The fourth one was a major flirt with the teachers and a very close friend of ours at high school.Thats the first time I ever bunked a class with my PT master and went to the movie "Gentleman". At school level bunking a day was considered as "blasphemy" (at least at my school).At middle school level I dont remember nothing else but the canes.It seems like a long forgotten past.

Music : Lynnrd Skynnrd - Free Bird.

5 comments:

Srini said...

i don't blame you for the buffalo-triggered laughter. i started laughing as soon as i read what you had read. are these pudees-specific experiences which only pudees has? :-)

pt was never any fun for me coz i was never good at any sport. the only sport which i was decent at was tennis, which was never played at school.

but i enjoyed waiting for the pt period and never enjoyed walking back to class. i wished the freedom would last forever.

maybe it was a gasp of fresh air, in more ways than one, which we all yearned for in school.

sudeep said...

My PT periods with drills were horrible....I just wanted the drills to get over!

test123 said...

Our school didn't have a field of its own. We used to be ferried by bus to the field opposite Shalini hotel in Jayanagar. Then 2 hours of football, which I enjoyed, but was pathetic at :).

zee said...

Rubber Rings .. LOL!
They used to cancel our games period when we made nosie during classes. first time I played football with it burst!

sudeep said...

richie :

We had the smae problem at our school VERY long ago....

venus:
I guess you should have taken up football....!