Thursday, April 21, 2005

Algorithms Pit - Deja Vu

Oh, how familiar it feels. To have screwed up an algorithms exam. Again!

Today, it was Approximation Algorithms, one of the tougher courses there is in IITB (CS/IT). The exams were especially bad; for various reasons: the professor expects a lot, teaches very fast, reference books are esoteric at best, basic building blocks are still beyond me, and mostly, I didn't work on it through the semester. And the less work I did, the tougher the subject got. And now, at the end, it had just gotten beyond me.

Though, to be fair, the end-sem paper was not as hard as I expected it to be. Its just that I was so bad, so very bad, that the level of the question paper made no difference to my pathetic overall effort on this great subject. The one thing I did get though, out of this course: Theory/Algorithms needs variety of mathematical tools that I have no clue about, creativity and patience that are beyond me, and mostly, passionate effort that I am surprised I didn't put in.

I will be working on this one again. Maybe yet again. Rarely have I gotten this helpless where I am unable to get what I really and truly desire. Time to start again.

No comments: