Monday, September 11, 2006

I think the future is 3D Desktop

I had a look at the snapshots of the Windows Vista Desktop Environment called "Aero".Aero is a 3D desktop environment with transparent rendering.I also had a look at Sun's "Project Looking glass".

The question which is currently hitting me, is , can a 3D desktop Environment be a hit.

For me, the answer is a resounding YES.

This can be explained by a very simple analogy. Although the 2-D DOS (like Dave, Prince of Persia) games have their own fan-following for their simplicity, they were gradually replaced by the 3-D games.

Wolf-3d was one of the first 3-D games with a lot of demand for "graphics card" and memory during those days. But it changed the course of gamer programming, gaming engine, and 3D software started to demand hardware changes, which resulted in graphics card revolution of sorts.

A 3D desktop environment will be a delight to work on. I hope it will be affordable for companies and homes.So , your desktop will look like a bookshelf, with "books" and each window being a "book".

I found two desktop environments , through forwards, of Windows Aero Desktop Environment and the other one, being the Sun MicroSystems 3D environment. I personally liked the screenshots of the Sun Microsystems environment.

I dunno if the Linux KDE guys have taken such an initiative for rendering 3D environment on linux.

Windows Vista snapshot Couldnt find many snapshots of Aero, though

The unbelievable software and snapshots of Project Looking Glass!

Have a look at the movie clip also!

No comments: