Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Ramblin' Woman


FADE IN:
A huge biker drives a Harley Davidson at a constant speed on a seemingly endless road . The biker is in black leathers and wears a huge helmet with a black glass .

BIKER
(NARRATING)
It is the fifth day of August.
Just five years ago on the same day, I married Angela.
She was like my chopper.
"Smooth" is the word... I could see the sun in her eyes on the day of my marriage.


The wind howls, and the sound of the Harley fills the air.

BIKER
(NARRATING)
My marriage with Angela didnt last long. I loved her.She loved me.She hated my temper and carelessness.I thought she was crazy.After she left me, I shaved my head and took my chopper and rode straight away, down South....... I hoped nothing would go wrong again.

BIKER
(NARRATING)
Old Barney told me to do things in MY WAY.I thought abt old dead Barney's words seriously for the first time.I wanted to go on long rides ...To understand lives , people and the roads.And ofcourse, for the kicks.


BACKGROUND MUSIC : A Jazz musician mutters in the background.

The day fades into a night.The biker disappears into the darkness.

EXT. SOMEWHERE DOWN SOUTH - NIGHT

GEORGE, a STURDY MAN in his thirties walks with his head facing the ground.He sees a Harley Davidson bike and he asks for a hitch.

The BIKER (from the prev scene) stops the bike.

GEORGE
Thanks mate. My name is George.You going to New Orleans ?

The BIKER doesnt speak.The biker just nods a "yes".

George feels his pockets, to take some money out.

GEORGE
I dont have money mate. I am a pig farmer and I sold my pigs. Debt is horrible thing.I just need some help.Can you drop me at New Orleans, please ?

BIKER
Money aint necessary mate.Come along.

GEORGE
I can give you my blanket , The cold is devilish.We can rig up a tent nearby.

BIKER
Not necessary. Just jump along buddy.I will drive to Orleans in the night.

George gets on the bike and the biker starts. There is no wind and the night is really calm.

A beautiful night.

GEORGE
Whats your story, mate ?Looks like you are travelling for the kicks ?

BIKER
Well, it is the same old story. My wife left me.

GEORGE
Hahaha...So why you goin' to New Orleans buddy.

BIKER
I will be in time for the Mardi Gras Carnival .i've heard they have a real good time there, now ......

(PAUSE)

BIKER
Why did you sell your pigs, mate ?

GEORGE
Well...Thats a big lesson I learnt. As a pig farmer, I have noticed that there are two types of pigs. The little piggies which wriggle in the dirt and the bigger piggies who give loans to farmers like us. I got tricked by the bigger piggies.So I had to sell my little piggies.

BIKER
Thats true. Everywhere, there are a lot of "pigs".

GEORGE
By the way, do you take coke ?Marijuana? I have got it tucked up from Mexico.

BIKER
I dig that sh*t !!! I knew you were not an ordinary guy!It's been a while since I have doped.

BIKER
Where have you kept the dope?

GEORGE
In my bag.

BIKER
(NARRATE)
Old habits just die hard. I wanted to take my acid trip , right there

BIKER
(TO GEORGE)
I'll stop my chopper and we will have it.

BIKER
(NARRATE)
And thats how, GEORGE and I got down. I cant forget that night.Little did I know that it was George's last day in this world.

A LOUD BANG! of a gunshot is heard.

EXT. NEXT MORNING - DAY

George is dead with a shot on his forehead as the biker,standing, wearing his helmet, says a prayer in front of George.

BIKER
(NARRATE)
I had to kill George.He was a pig.I found Angela's photo in his wallet. I couldnt control my temper.I hated the man who snatched the woman from me without my knowledge.

BIKER
(NARRATE)
I also found out that she lived somewhere nearby.

BIKER
(NARRATE)
Suddenly I no longer felt like going to New Orleans.I drove back to say Angela , I loved her.

EXT. ANGELA's HOUSE - DAY

Angela is a pretty blonde who is just perfect.

Well. Not quite.

She sits facing the PHOTO of a red-haired woman, RACHEL with tears in eyes.

The biker enters and removes her helmet.

The biker is a WOMAN. She is Rachel.

ANGELA
How have you been, Rachel ?

Angela notices Rachel's shaved head.

ANGELA
You look different.

BIKER/RACHEL
I have been quite well.

(PAUSE)

BIKER/RACHEL
But I killed your "George".

Angela is stunned.

ANGELA
How did you know George ?

BIKER/RACHEL
He found me.

There is silence.

ANGELA
Are you going to kill me ?

BIKER/RACHEL
No.

BIKER
(NARRATE)
I had to do some explaning to Rachel.And I stayed there for a long time...


Was listening to some songs (Les Beatles) and I came up with this write-up. Just want to dedicate it to my oldest arch-rival, VHS. This is very much her style and influenzed by her "football and goalie" story which she put up in the "Blossoms" magazine.

8 comments:

Tejaswi said...

Roger Avery and Sudeep. With a twist. I am curious about the 'inspiration', but I guess that will have to wait for some other time.

You should be going the Avery and Sudeep way more than the twist way. That's where true scripts are.

sudeep said...

Inspiration was...you remember I showed an article abt aged people, i wrote in a magazine ?

In the same magazine there was a story abt a football (very similar to this - i.e. narraotr gives an impression he is a girl...but in the end , the narrator is a football)......

Tejaswi said...

This first person narrative ploy has been used by Roald Dahl, Jeffrey Archer, and others.

Archer's was relatively simplistic, where the narrator seems to be a woman, but in the end, turns out to be a cat.

But Dahl, on the other hand, has a story, where you are never sure about the identity of the narrator, and it keeps you hanging till the end, and after it.

But of course, the most screwed up narrator is Humbert Humbert of Lolita, whose real identity, I don't think anyone is sure of.

sudeep said...

I had read two or three of Dahl's stories at your place....You had a book on Dahl's collection, right ? THey were kinda dark...but some of them had a light humour too!

Dhimant Parekh said...

Neat stuff man. Very well written.

sudeep said...

thanks man...but as you can see, not very "original" :-)

test123 said...

wtf, originality ilvanthe :D.

sudeep said...

Yes definitely there are shades of V for Vendetta in this...