Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The unofficial vegetarian guide in the Zhejiang province

Take a print out and carry this -

I tasted some chinese dishes today. Theye were "interesting" and really tasty to say the least. By mistake I ate duck's egg..Quack quack. Remember "egg" can mean any egg - that's where I got misled.

Step 1: express your preference to the waiter- Show him this sentence

English: I am a vegetarian
I only eat vegetable, I can take eggs/milk but NOT meat.|
Chinese: 我是素食主义者(只吃素菜),我可以吃各种蛋/牛奶但是什么肉都不吃。

NOTE: please NOTE vegetarian is really rare in China
, so in some rare cases it might be possible some servants can NOT understand what does vegetarian mean, though I suppose the above statements should be clear enough

Step 2 : Spoon and Fork - unless you are a chopstick master

English: I need spoon and fork.
Chinese: 我需要刀和叉作为餐具。

Step 3 : Menu
English: please show me the menu, with English OR with pictures.
Chinese: 请给我菜单,有英语或者有图的。

Step 4: After burrrp

English: please show me the bill! How much is it?
Chinese: 买单!多少钱?

2: typical words used in the restaurants:

#

English

Chinese 

pingying

1

fork

叉子

Chazi

2

Spoon

调羹

Tiaogeng

3

Chopsticks

筷子

Kuaizi

4

menu

菜单

Caidan

5

Vegetable

蔬菜

Sucai

6

Meat (the things you want to avoid, e.g. pork, chicken, lamb, etc)

rou

7

Flying cake

飞饼

Feibing

3: what I had today

#

English

Chinese

Pingying

Estimated price

1

Pickled duck’s egg

皮蛋

Pidan

~ 12 CNY

2

Chinese Date (jujube)

Zao

~ 10 CNY

3

Sweet lotus root with sticky rice

蜜汁糖藕

Mizi tang’ou

~ 10 CNY

4

Pumpkin covered by egg yolk

蛋黄南瓜

Danhuang nangua

~ 18 CNY

5

Boiled souliecai Vegetableand tofu

NOTE: sorry there is NO English name for手捏菜 I am afraid, thus I put the pingying here

手捏菜(青菜)豆腐

Souliecai doufu

~ 20 CNY

6

rice noodle with egg and cabbage (without sea food

海鲜炒粉丝(不要海鲜)

Haixian cao fensi (buyao haixian)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

China li yaavaaginda idya maga? Business aa kelsa na ? Njoi your stay... Jeevandalli vegeterians gey elli hodroo kashta :) Nice write up about Chinese vegeterian cusine :P BTW, Wikitravel antha ondu site idey.. good one to understand and know about where you are staying - http://wikitravel.org/en/China

~J

sudeep said...

just a couple of weeks inda maga...olle kathegaLu ide maga...with wife and kid...so not much problem with food....language problem sikkaapatte ide