Thursday, September 01, 2011

Something which is extremely apparent at the work place at China is the way the developers perceive the management. The manager's authority is not questioned. I have seen three teams here and it is the same in all the teams. His word is the final. I am more of people's person (at least that's what I try to project) and I try to value people over process - That's what I at least aim to do so. When I gave the choice to some people to pick up some work items, their first reaction is :- we would like you to allocate us the work Also, as I was watching the CCTV channel, there is one scene where the students get up and greet the teacher when he comes to class. They really bend their heads down and bow their heads REALLY DOWN.

OK - perhaps that's why communism works here - Perhaps I am restricting myself to a narrow minded stereotype but that's my gut feel. Somehow communism may not work in India. A few idealists shouting their principles out and neither Kerala or West Bengal impress as communist led states - which makes me believe that communism may not work in all places.

This led me to google more on this topic and I landed into Power Distance Index and a management research paper by a guy called Hofstede.Perhaps, many people have already heard of his name, but this is really interesting.

Power distance Index measures the extent to which the less powerful members of organizations and institutions (like the family) accept and expect that power is distributed unequally. 


Look at China and India and then look at the scandinavian countries' power index in this post


No comments: