Monday, July 10, 2006

Brain vs Brawn vs Beauty

I read this somewhere in Seattle "If you dont have brains better be tough". I pondered over this statement after reading the comments from Sudeep and Bridget Jones (Kriti) on my last post Cup of Glory. And in response to it I write this piece. These are purely my thoughts again. (Usually I write opinions from others, gathered over discussions and potray the thoughts to which I have acquiesced, as mine)

We are often very critical about display of Muscle power,as against the display of brains and almost non-critical about beauty flaunting. ZiZou might have been wrong according to the football faternity and the codes of the FIFA worldcup and he rightly recieved a RED card for it. May be he should have acted as Kriti puts it
"I would have expected the "best player of the tournament" to be self-assured enough to laugh away insults ", but I would not agree with the part of to laugh away insults'.

How often can we swallow insults or racial abuse, of origins, of religions, of language, of stature, of looks and of behaviour ??? When will the abusers be punished? I know world cup finals is not the right platform to do it. I am highly disappointed about the French not winning. But I believe, if Zidane had stayed back for the full extra-time there would have been any difference to the score line. David Trezeguet was slated to take the 'penalty', and he would have missed it anyways.

The FIFA has just looked into containing the PHYSICAL ABUSING, and havent done much about the verbal abusing. Hence, I prefer the football of the 80's where men fought, like men, for the glory. Now, they act, they deceive, they taunt others with abuse of all forms.

We cannot see a kick in the BUTT, but we are okay with verbal bashings, the Nazi salutes of Buffon, the spitting of the players, their diving, their remarks. speculations are that Mattarazi called "Zidane a terrorist", "His sister a whore" etc etc. How often can you swallow such remarks ? Sometimes your personal pride takes over the World Cup. May be Zidane dint want the world cup then, may be he wanted to teach the Mattarazi guy and his likes to behave properly. Italians are accused often of being racists Okay this is not about Italy. Its generic - its european in nature.

Coming back to the Brain vs Brawn vs Beauty. Brawny ppl are the most accused, followed by brainy ppl and then the beautiful. If you display your muscle power you become an instant hooligan (They do it cos thats their act of defence and offence. They lack brains so they go the muscle way). I am not justifying that they are right in doing so, but I am pleading that we need to be equally critical about the others too. We never condemn the killings/assasinations of thousands/lakhs of innocents, who are victims of diplomatic screw-ups in the same way (with the same fervor) we condemn the burtal killings (see the word brutal comes naturally) behind which the muscle power has ruled. Given the choice between 'concentration camps' and 'nuclear bombing in hiroshima' the 'concentration camps' will be voted as more cruel, where as both these acts are equally despicable to the highest orders respectively. One was a muscle power and another a brilliant tactic. Ofcos brilliance gets away easily in words of diplomacy. (this has been derived from the disussion I have heard so far, we often discuss too much abt Nazi vs Jews and occassionaly discuss abt Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings. I might be wrong here)

Now to Brains vs Beauty. If you flaunt your brains, its an offence - you are headstrong, you are not humble, and you are a jerk too at times. But you flaunt beauty and no one complains. Everyone loves it. Its gone to an extent that 'if you have it flaunt it' . Now if a person has brains and a lesser capacity in beauty, doesnt he have the right to flaunt it. Why are we biased here again ? Why do we taunt poeple with remarks and put a tag on them as 'headstrong, arrogant' etc etc.
Again I am against both or I am for both, not for a step-mother treatment of brains or beauty. Research in the US have reported that offenders with better looks have escaped the wrath of the jury many a times. Why so ? why are we so much tuned to be so partial towards beauty?

If a physical damage leaves a scar behind which is very much visible, then a moral/mental damage leave a deeper wound which is not percieved by many. I am in total support of ZiZou (if the allegations made on Mattarazai were true). For me he will be one the greatest footballers. My best would still be Maradona. I havent seen Pele much but I dont think even if I see him I would like him. Genius ppl have a slight madness in them, and that madness is what makes them a genius. ZiZou also got support from his coach, co-players and PM. The cup of glory can be won again and again and again. It's tough but it is not impossible. But it takes a lot of time to regain personal pride, as they say it in Kannada 'adikege hoda maana aane kottru barolla'.


And I agree with Kriti

"The diving, the anger, the head-butting, the goals, the referess, the brilliance - all seem like parts of a well done play, where the suspense stays on till the end. Thats what is so much fun about it! :)
"

only thing the Italians should not have won the world cup. A team which plays 10 ppl in the 18-yard area, doesnt deserve the highest reward of this sport 4 times. All said and done, well played Italy and ZiZou you deserved the Golden ball. Keep your head high

ps: only person who I have seen coming close to evenly critical abt brains, beatuy and brawny is Chilli

3 comments:

Tejaswi said...

Ramanand makes an interesting comparison between Zidane and Det. Mills (from Se7en) here: http://quatrainman.blogspot.com/2006/07/7idane-by-now-historically-dramatic.html

I loved the penalty. I love his game. I love his finishing (which is mostly ignored, and he is considered to be a 'midfielder').

And yeah, Trezeguet was anyway slated to take the spot kick even if Zidane were around, and maybe Sagnol would not have. So, overall, he didn't lose them the world cup. But then again, the last 10 minutes of extra time, who knows? he could've conjured up something brilliant.

But what saddened me was his direct header to Buffon. He could've aimed that header off Sagnol's cross into the corner, and for all we know, things might have been very different.

The golden ball is some redemption, but not enough.

What depresses me the most is that he is gone now, and I'll have to be content with the contrived elegance of Christiano Ronaldo, or Ronaldinho now, and just reminsce about the beauty of the game when Zidane is around.

GD said...

Yeah, the header was a disappointment from Zidane. I think he underestimated Buffon's class. I personally expected a low corner header from him, and act of abosolute brilliance - Champions league 2002 goal for real madrid

Avi said...

Well written.
The case should be investigated to know what provoked Zidane. More than his action, what proved him to do it is what matters.
Totally agree with you dude..