Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Nuclear Deal - Quote Unquote ..

"The UPA's victory is not due to their policies but a well thought-out political conspiracy by both the NDA and the UPA to check the BSP and prevent the daughter of a Dalit from becoming the Prime Minister of the country,"

"Both feared BSP and prevented me from becoming the prime minister. Had the NDA not helped the ruling coalition, it would not have been saved on the floor of the House," said Mayawati

"It is a sad day for Parliamentary democracy in India when all norms are sacrificed for a nuclear deal which is against the interest of the country," CPI(M) general secretary Prakash Karat

"The opposition parties should now pave way for Rahul Gandhi," said Puneet Sharma, an enthusiastic party supporter

" I urge him at least to change his astrologers so that he gets more accurate predictions of things to come" Manmohan Singh

SP leader Amar Singh "today is the happiest day in my political career".
"The politics of Prakash Karat, A B Bardhan and L K Advani has been exposed,"

"The BJP and NDA seem to believe that nuclear isolation should end but no one is clear about the Left parties. Yet the two groups are voting together.
"The NDA has no problem with the strategic relationship with the US. The Left parties have ideological opposition to it. Yet the two groups are voting together.
"The NDA believes in India becoming a nuclear weapon state. The Left parties have always opposed nuclear weaponisation. Yet the two parties are together.
"The NDA says if it comes to power, it will renegotiate the nuclear deal. The Left says it will everything to scuttle the agreement for ever. Yet they are voting together.
"I don't think in the history of Parliament there is anything more bizarre than two disparate groups voting together," the Finance Minister said in his spirited speech.


But the day belongs to Manmohan Singh.. His conclusion in the speech is inspiring..

The Management and governance of the world’s largest, most diverse and most vibrant democracy is the greatest challenge any person can be entrusted with, in this world. It has been my good fortune that I was entrusted with this challenge over four years ago. I thank with all sincerity the Chairperson of the UPA, the leaders of the Constituent Parties of the UPA and every member of my Party for the faith and trust they reposed in me. I once again recall with gratitude the guidance and support I have received from Shri Jyoti Basu and Sardar Harkishen Singh Surjeet.
I have often said that I am a politician by accident. I have held many diverse responsibilities. I have been a teacher, I have been an official of the Government of India, I have been a member of this greatest of Parliaments, but I have never forgotten my life as a young boy in a distant village.
Every day that I have been Prime Minister of India I have tried to remember that the first ten years of my life were spent in a village with no drinking water supply, no electricity, no hospital, no roads and nothing that we today associate with modern living. I had to walk miles to school, I had to study in the dim light of a kerosene oil lamp. This nation gave me the opportunity to ensure that such would not be the life of our children in the foreseeable future.
Sir, my conscience is clear that on every day that I have occupied this high office, I have tried to fulfill the dream of that young boy from that distant village.
The greatness of democracy is that we are all birds of passage! We are here today, gone tomorrow! But in the brief time that the people of India entrust us with this responsibility, it is our duty to be honest and sincere in the discharge of these responsibilities. As it is said in our sacred texts, we are responsible for our actions and we must act without coveting the rewards of such action. Whatever I have done in this high office I have done so with a clear conscience and the best interests of my country and our people at heart. I have no other claims to make.

I am happy for Manmohan Singh and the Nuclear Deal

1 comment:

sudeep said...

I am also totally for the nuclear deal. Magazines like outlook are severely critical about Nuclear deal because they say that it is not addressing the immediate pblm on hand viz. inflation.

But I like the fact that Manmohan Singh discarded the pesky, irritating Leftists.

I really don't understand what is the problem. There is no sacrifice of national security because of this deal.