Sunday, November 05, 2006

Departed Rating :: * * * + 1/2

I liked the story of "The Departed". But it is not your conventional gangster movie (like Goodfellas which was directed by Scorcese, before) and all the actors have done a great job. By great job, I mean, there is one scene where the gangster boss, Jack Nicholson, gets angry. That really shook me! Leo DiCaprio shines(I'm seeing a pattern here. He was good in Ganags of NY, he was even better in The Aviator and he is really damn good in The Departed) and Jack Nicholson is brilliant (as usual) and Matt Damon plays a dishonest police cop with a facade which seems believable.

The movie starts wout with a memorable quote by Jack Nicholson which goes something like this :-

I don't wanna be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me.

The synopsys is pretty complicated. There are no sub-plots as such, but the basic plot is pretty convoluted.

There are two men who are on the opposite sides of the law in the other side. That is, there is a "gangster-spy" in the polic department and a "police-spy" in the gangster department. The police know that they have a spy in their midst, and same is the case with the gangsters, who know that there is a cop.The rest is upto you to figure out.

The movie has an undeniable Scorcese touch to it. The blood, the rage , the violence and the reliance on top actors for the delivery of the script.

But there is one mistake (from my POV). The film runs overtime after the highdrama climax.Whatever, a good movie to catch if you have some time during your weekend.

DOnt go to The Forum Multiplexes. You WONT get the tickets and everytime I end up getting disappointed.I managed to get in Innovative Multiplex. From now on, I will start anti-advertising for Forum! hahah...

1 comment:

Avi said...

Must also add that it has one of the worst endings to a good movie.