Tuesday, March 08, 2005

wasted week

The whole of last week was wasted in doing nothing. The weekend was spent compering our department's flagship event. It was a workshop on Computing Infrastructure for Enterprise Networks. The name couldn't be any vaguer eh? So was the workshop.

The worst part about being a compere is that you have to sit through the entire lecture series, so that at the end of each lecture you know the right adjective to fill in "A fill-adjective-here lecture, Mr Speaker!" This made me sit through all the lectures. Most of the industry speakers using the platform to give their sales pitch, even the CTO of Amazon.com :(( . The academic talks were good. But anyways, the one thing I surely learnt during the entire 2 day workshop was that Gujrati Dhokla's taste great. :)))) The low of the session was that, as a compere, I got my 15 minutes when some projector broke down and I had to kill time for the audience. Of course, I didn't have any regaling anecdotes to entertain them with. So, I stuck to one of my drier informative speels on our department and some more world-class crap. Wasted the 15 minutes.......aaaargh.......Shows that I should've preprared for everything.

That was this weekend. Later that day, visited the aged Yogi who resides just opposite IIT, and had some good talks with him around.

This week is gonna be screwed cuz of impending project presentations, one big exam, and a lot of machine learning to catch up with. I dont think of approximation algorithms cuz I feel depressed when I do so :)))

Thats academics for now.

3 comments:

sudeep said...

Compering is pretty cooL...
I would love to compere (not an academic session though...)

I dont think you would have found it difficult to fill in adjectives....."interesting" is a pretty cool adjective....

The MTV style "Could u repeat the question please?" in the PESIT new building audi during the Techniche fest was effing hilarious!

Samba said...

Is he purple Yogi by any chance?

Bridget Jones said...

here i was reading a blog about someone's :) weekend - I'm not happy, but not sad either, you know... living my oh-so-ok life out... and then suddenly pops the dreaded words "approximation algos"... :(

lets all make a pact _not_ to mention "approximation algos" ever in person/ on mail/ in blogs ever again ok? :)