Sunday, April 02, 2006

alma mater

Today, I woke up at around 12 and when I came out of my room to attend to daily chores, I saw four aged people(looked like two couples) walking around in my hostel wing. At first I thought they must be relatives of some kid and were here to spend a sunday ...but there was something different about them...they did not have the oh-this-place-is-new-to-me-and-i-am-lost look on their faces, generally all visitors have such a look..but these people were perfectly comfortable..I did not bother to find out who they were..

I saw them again..when I was going for lunch..they were talking to hostel G-Sec and he was holding our hostel t-shirts.

During lunch, my wingmate informed that the men were from the batch of 67!!and they were here to show their rooms to their wives!!! I found it unbelievable..I can't imagine taking my wife to pesit, 40 years after my graduation..just to show the place I studied..I am not talking about iit as I am still here and what I feel about this place may change..anyway..coming back to the point..why is it that I dont feel the same amount of belongingness towards pesit?even when I was in pesit, I never felt it was MY college..it was just a college were I studied..why is it so?because I never spent more than 5-6 hours per day in the college??is it because I did nothing other than attending lectures at campus?? or is it a plain and simple reason like pesit can never give me what iit gave to these people?I dont know..or is it a common phenomenon, as in most of us dont feel it? if it is a common thing, then again why is it so?

8 comments:

Srini said...

i think its because, u did not live in the pesit campus. that makes a difference i guess. but i have met lots of our hostel pals..they have never gone back there in the last 5 yrs.

pesit did give all of us something good. no denying that. so thats not a reason.

the nostalgia is built up not only by the place but also how people remember the place. i am sure lots of alumni of iits are inspired by what their seniors did for the place once they passed out..as u r inspired now.

so, if u want the same thing to happen with pesit, its u and i and the rest of us who need to make it happen and subsequent batches as well.

then in the year 2015, some pesit dude will blog(or whatever is in vogue then) about kummi bringing his wife(or gf's) to pesit and showing 'em around. :-)

GD said...

I will show the juice center, Sudeeps home, his room, the football ground :) SLV katte.
I think thats where we LIVED during those formative years

Sridhar Raman said...

The spot where we all used to wait during the umpteen suspensions. :P

sarvagnaani said...

@zd:
> I think thats where we LIVED during those formative years
exactly...we never LIVED at pesit..when i look at the under grads here..they are really living their lives...well most of them are..for me it was more like the system used me(in terms of a student who pays fees) and i used the system(in terms of getting a degree from a college which has some brand name)..

@srini:
>met lots of our hostel pals..they have never gone back there in the last 5 yrs..
same thing again..they just STAYED in campus

>the nostalgia is built up not only by the place but also how people remember the place
you have a point there..but i guess that is only something which boosts someones intentions of giving back to his alma mater ..it cannot initiate the whole process

btw..i looked up dictionary and found that 'alma mater' is latin for kind mother..is it ever possible for a pesit student to feel that way abt pesit?

Srini said...

context switch...HOLY HOLI...is that U under all that color..!!!

sudeep said...

Alma Mater and Mother ?

I really dont have such a deep feeling towards PESIT.

Really.

I know I learnt a lot there.

We have learnt something true.

We have made great friends there , true.

But I am not so fond of PESIT that deep.

sarvagnaani said...

@bv
:)

@sudeep
>I know I learnt a lot there.
hmmmm...
>We have learnt something true.
agreed..
>We have made great friends there , true.
no doubting that..
>But I am not so fond of PESIT that deep.
same here..
but why? 'ideally' that should be the case and it is not so...who is to be blamed? us(students)?profs..sorry lecturers?system?what is it that is wrong?

laksnj said...

Agree with most of the others,I never really had a sense of belonging to the college.School is what I always had and will have a sense of belonging.I made some good friends through Pesit,and with some co-pesitians after college...So thats the only thing I like the college for..And
>>.who is to be blamed? us(students)?profs..sorry lecturers?system?what is it that is wrong?
.Few questions are better left unanswered,cos there is no answer for it..you can debate and talk for n number of hours on each of the above possible reasons,but at the end of it nothing would be concrete..