Wednesday, April 12, 2006

My favorite Rajkumar movies.

As my testcase bombs, I just recall some of my favorite movies of Rajkumar.

I know by writing this post, I am actually procrastinating, but I will write this post.

:)

My favorite Rajkumar movies.
=============================

I have watched many Rajkumar movies.The very first movie I can ever remember watching in a theatre was a Rajkumar movie called Guri

I have listed some movies which immediately come to my mind when I think of Rajkumar the actor.And most of them are monstrous hits.

#10 CID 999 series
====================
These movies, namely Operation Diamond Rocket, Jedara Bale, Bengalooru Mail were the heavily inspired James Bond flicks in the early and late sixties.Yes, they consisted of "gadgets" (you have to see this movies!) and quite a few "good looking" & "scantily clad" women. The most important woman who made her debut in the CID 999 series was the Hindi film actress and daughter of Gemini Ganesan , Rekha. Rajkumar looked pretty suave in the suits (ofcourse the movies are black and white) but his english was really bad.

But the best part of the CID 999 series was the camaraderie which he had with another great comedian, NarasimhRaju

#9 Bhaktha Prahallada
=====================
Dr. Raj IS best remembered for the roles , he donned as kings and characters of mythology.He came from the famed drama company "Gubbi Company" and had a strong theatrical background, early in his career .Thats why he could effortlessly blend good songs into his movies.I dont think any Kannada actor today can make justice to the "Mythological" roles, like he did. He is brilliant as HiranyaKashipu in this memorable movie.And the moustache he dons in this movie shows the age which it was filmed and he does justic to this.

#8 Shravana Banthu
====================
This movie has got little to do with his acting skills, but it has a lot to do with his songs.I love the song
Ide Raagadalli, ide taaladalli
Nice fairy tale-ish script and a good movie which kept me glued to my seat.
However, it addressed the "then-sensitive" issues of inter-caste marriages in a nice way.It is to be kept in mind that, people were VERY DIPLOMATIC when they wanted to convey social messages. They were never hard-hitting/direct.So this movie will fail to make any impact today.

#7 Eradu Kanasu
================
A good movie dealing with heartbreaks and marriages having a rough start with a lot of cold war. Very good song. I loved two songs from this movie.
Tam nam, Tam nam and Yendendu ninnanu Marethu

#6 Mayura
============
A very stylised , improvised story of the history of the Kadamba dynasty founder "Mayura". Good swordfights (for Kannada movie standards) and garish (but colorful costumes!). Again, the movie hits a home run because of Rajkumar's charisma.

#5 Babruvahana
===============
An excellent movie, dealing with ego conflicts between Arjuna and his son Babruvahana.Excellent rendering of dialogs in the form of dramatic verses, in the form of songs.Rajkumar has excelled in both the roles , as the older Arjuna and the younger and dandy Babruvahana. The PB Srinivas & RajKumar song is awesome!

#4 Bhagyavantharu
===================
Another good movie where Rajkumar plays the role of an old man who loses his power gradually in his family over the years.His strict upbringing of his children make him the person, which everyone loves to hate. One of the best tragedies played by Rajkumar.

My top#3 will be seen by most of us here.So I wont write anything about these three movies!

#3 Dari Tappida Maga
=====================

#2 Kasturi Nivasa
==================

#1 Bangaradha Manushya
=======================

6 comments:

direkishore said...

Well compiled! It surely is a great loss, I have always been a fan of his singing, more than his acting.

sudeep said...

Hey Shiv,

DireKishore = Dire Straits + Kishore Kumar ?

direkishore said...

yep !

Srini said...

My fav is Kaviratna Kalidasa. What a wonderful performance. What singing.

I liked annavru more as a singer than an actor

direkishore said...

huh.. Srini, u reminded me of a gem! Especially the narration of the shlokas in sanskrit, perfect "uchhaara"..

Enigma said...

my all time fav in devotional section has been bhaktha kanakadasa i love all his b&w movies