Monday, March 06, 2006

NorthEast India

Tourism is big money in India.I heard an ad about "NorthEast India Tourism" today on Radio City.

In the North , we can see the Taj Mahal, the forts of the Moghuls and Delhi, is about QutbMinar and the significant number of buildings and monuments related to Indian Republic and all that.

In the west, we have big cities like Bombay & Pune (I had a great one day tour at Bombay) .And there is Goa. Goa is one major tourist destination.

In the East , we have Kolkata. I really dont know , how much of a tourist place Kolkata is, but everybody knows Bengal has a played a big role during the British Raj days. There are a lot of elements of Bong Culture and I think there will be some tourist places there.

If you think of South, you have god's own country "Kerala" boasting lushgreen equatorial , evergreen , hot deciduous forests and small water streams and all that. Karnataka has its share of green mountains , The Ghats and Malnad region.TamilNadu has its awesome share of South Indian Temples.

But one part of India which is largely "unexplored" is the NorthEast India. I am referring to the "semi chingi" region like Tripura, Nagaland, Assam, Manipur,Mizoram, Sikkim and all those states having a sizeable "chingi" population.The state governments of North East India tried their hands at online lottery system (sikkim lottery) etc. to raise revenues.

But tourism is their latest idea, I think it is a good one too!

I hear a lot of Come to North East India, Paradise Unexplored

I just googled up and here are the places to see in the North East :-
Here it is

I heard that visiting the Manas Sarovar is a herculean task. Anybody been there ?Is it in the NorthEast or am I hallucinating ?

I somehow feel that , these states are, kind of, neglected in India as a whole. We dont hear much about them in the news/newspapers/internet and so on....

5 comments:

Akshai said...

"I somehow feel that , these states are, kind of, neglected in India as a whole"..There are 2 sides to it. These states havent done anything to integrate with mainstream India nor has mainstream India made an attempt to absorb them, still refering to them as "Chingis" or "Chinkis".

Manas Sarovar is not in the north east. It is closer to Nepal and in anycase it comes under Chinese governed territory.

Btw...The Andamans are also now being showcased as a great tourist destination.

sudeep said...

wow man!

Talk about hitting the bull's eye....Okay, since they are lesser known states, I used Chinkis or Chingis.....

Any friends in Kohima or Imphal reading this blog, please excuse !

laksnj said...

check this out
http://incredibleindia.org

sudeep said...

yeah thats the offciail site for india tourism...

sarvagnaani said...

>These states havent done anything to integrate with mainstream India nor has mainstream India made an attempt to absorb them, still refering to them as "Chingis" or "Chinkis".

I agree with akshai...I remember one of my friends who had been to nagaland saying that he came across people who asked him 'how is it in india'? and some banners which read 'indo-naga talks'